Saturday, February 1, 2014

February Currently

It has been a while since I have blogged.  Not sure why things are so crazy this year. Time to link up with Farley from Oh' Boy Fourth Grade for her awesome monthly linky Currently February! Hopefully February will be a better blogging month for me.



1. Watching-Obsessed with BBC's Sherlock.  Such a good show.  I am now re-watching the series.

2.  Loving-Enjoying no plans.  Went to Costco this morning before it was packed.  Got all the essentials for Super Bowl tomorrow. Watching TV and being lazy now.

3.  Thinking-report cards.  Yes, I need to do comments.  I always agonize over this part of report cards though.  I feel like it takes me forever to do them. In steps my BFF whose name is Procrastination.

4.Wanting-more snow days.  You can never have too many!!  Bring on some more snow!!!

5. Needing-to clean and cook.  My house is a mess....I was crafting this week so of course there is paper, string, glitter, and paint on my table.  Time to put everything away. Also need to make salsa chicken so it is ready to be turned into yummy taco dip for the game tomorrow.

6. Truths and Fib

  • I do HATE teaching elapsed time.  So many kids have trouble with it and everyone has to find his/her own strategy for learning it.  I wish I had a be-all-end-all elapsed time strategy that would work for all kids.
  • I DID NOT only teach 4 days in the last two weeks...it was actually only 2.  I taught Tuesday and Friday of this past week only.  We had snow the entire week before and then much of this past week.  By the way...snow blizzards in Virginia really can be just 2 inches.  Yes, two inches of snow gets you out for a week!
  • I do have 29 kids this year.  That is a lot of bodies in one room.  Love them though and I did miss them over snow break.



7 comments:

  1. WOW! I think we all need to clean house! I am telling you...we just need a maid! Check out my Currently! I am trying to convince my hubby to get me one!

    Farrah Shipley
    Mrs. Shipley's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to guess that the elapsed time was true! It is such a difficult thing for some students to "get" and it is hard to figure out why! Do you have to make up all of these snow days you are missing? I used to love snow days...until the make up days came along!

    Krista Mahan
    Teaching Momster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, needing to clean too :) I did teach for four days in the last two weeks, we've been hit by the snow in Indiana too! I don't want more snow days though because we have to make them up and I don't want to go to school in mid-June!

    Amy
    The Resourceful Room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahoo! Another fifth grade blog! I've just found you and started following along through the currently :)

    It's CRAZY that you're in the middle of enjoying snow days off and I'm in pain because my butt is sunburnt from being at the beach all day yesterday! (I'm on the other side of the world in NZ)

    I've got 29 kids this year too- in past years I've had up to 33 but this year I'm in a tiny relocatable tin shed of a classroom on the field because the roll has grown so much so it's going to be crazy. Our school year starts TOMORROW! It's going to be so hot in our little tin shed haha!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I think I just found you on instagram and started following that too :) (If not then someone else has an IG name that matches your blog name)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you regarding elapse time. It is one of those concepts that is difficult for some students to grasp. Since I use number lines throughout the year, I teach elapse time using a number line.
    Brooke
    Tales from a Fourth Grade MathNut

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES. Elapsed time is my nemesis. I've done a few different ways (via Pinterest) but one way I haven't seen is using the "Military Time" method. We convert time to 24 hour time, and I teach them to regroup with base 60 instead of base 100. Like you said, it doesn't work for everyone, but a lot of kids love it when the other ways get confusing.

    ReplyDelete